Saturday, May 07, 2011

The Power of Prayer

I was thinking this morning about Prayer, and how we have been commanded to "pray always".(3 Nephi 18:19)  I thought of how we can possibly have a Prayer in our heart for when we are not Praying vocally,(Alma 34:27) and how we could always be able to be near the Lord through the Power of Prayer.  Then I thought of a promise given by the Lord in the Doctrine and Covenants 25:12.

"For my soul delighteth
in the song of the heart;
yea, the song of the righteous
is a prayer unto me,
and it shall be answered
with a blessing upon their heads."

This lead me to think about some of my favorite hymns we sing at church.  One of my favorites is "I Need Thee Every Hour".  It talks about how we can truly come closer to the Lord, and our dependency on Him for everything we have.

" I need thee ev'ry hour,
Most gracious Lord.
No tender voice like thine
Can peace afford.

I need thee ev'ry hour;
Stay thou nearby.
Temptations lose their pow'r
When thou art nigh.

I need thee ev'ry hour,
In joy or pain.
Come quickly and abide,
Or life is vain.

I need thee ev'ry hour,
Most holy One.
Oh, make me thine indeed,
Thou blessed Son!

[Chorus]
I need thee, oh, I need thee;
Ev'ry hour I need thee!
Oh, bless me now, my Savior;
I come to thee! "

-- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Hymnbook, Hymn 98

I hope that through thinking of Hymns we may be able to have a Prayer in our heart all day long, and thereby be near the Lord in all that we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment